Historical Marker: Site of Fort Lyday
Site of Fort Lyday
Early Texas pioneer Isaac Lyday built a fort in this area soon after settling here in 1836. The compound consisted of living quarters, storerooms, and a large community well. As many as eighty families gathered inside the fort during Indian attacks. Due to an increase in Indian raids, the settlement was almost abandoned until Texas Ranger Captain William B. Stout came in 1838 to organize a Ranger force. Lyday was elected captain of the company and served until 1839. Fort Lyday continued to shelter settlers until Indian trouble subsided after the Civil War.