Historical Marker: Savoy Methodist Church
Savoy Methodist Church
This congregation traces its beginning to 1873, one year after William Savoy founded the town of Savoy on the Transcontinental (Texas & Pacific) Railroad line. Led by the Rev. James Graham, the members first met in the Roberts schoolhouse on the old Whitewright Road. They built their first sanctuary in 1876-1878, and it was one of the few buildings not destroyed when a tornado ravaged the town in 1880. A shared station with other area churches throughout its history, the Savoy church has emphasized educational and missionary activities.